Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Pursuit of Happiness

As a college student, most of my time is spent in class, in the library, or at my house studying. This has drastically changed my lifestyle. Many of the things I used to often are now done very little, if at all. I used to be very active and I used to have a ton of side projects, but I really don't have much time for either.
When I was younger, I would skateboard as much as I could. I would wake up in the morning, get ready, and leave to go skateboarding. I wouldn't get back until late night. Skateboarding was my life. It's all I would ever do or think about. When I wasn't skateboarding, I was watching skateboarding videos or I would try to figure out how to do new tricks. Since I started college, I rarely have time to go skateboarding. I'm always buried in books. Below is a video of me skateboarding, just a little random mix of stuff.


I also used to be very involved in music. I used to sing for several bands (at different times of course). Since I'm so busy with college, I don't have a whole lot of time to write music anymore. Sometimes my friend Derek and I will write music at his apartment in between classes, but that usually only lasts at 45 minutes at a time.

I also used to involve myself with projects. Over the summer, I was trying to increase gas mileage in cars using water, copper wire, and a vacuum hose. I also use to build a variety of things. I used to build rails and ramps for skateboarding. I find it difficult to find time for side projects anymore.

Even though I've had to give up these hobbies for the most part, I did pick up another one. Since I've been in college, I've really gotten into soccer again. I used to play when I was 14, but I quit playing then. I spend most of my free time playing soccer with the international students or with some of my other friends. It's so much fun, I can't believe I ever quit in the first place!

I really don't mind giving up these hobbies. Sure, I'd still love to do them, but I believe college is far more important. I may become a bit of a gripe at times, or I may gain a little weight from a lack of exercise, but it will be well worth it in the end. Besides, I can always find time to do these things on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment